Monday, February 06, 2006

Amusement, entertaiment and sports

Jim West posted a very good comment yesterday about frivolity and society. You really should read it, but here is a brief excerpt:

"So why this focus, both today, and next week during the Grammy's, and during the Winter Olympics, and in March and April on the NCAA basketball tournaments, and then during the whole spate of playoffs and awards shows on the not too distant horizon?

"Because we live in a society where nothingness and frivolity are a religion. And where religion itself is frivolous and meaningless. The Church has become the theater and the theater has become the church."

<idle musing>
Sounds like two of the books I recently read, see the sidebar for links:
Amusing Ourselves to Death and Tozer on Entertainment and Worship. You can see my takes on them here and here.

By the way, I removed the link to Velo News. I hadn't been there for a while, and when I did, I realized why. None of it matters. I still love bicycling and continue to ride, but doping and assorted things of that nature have destroyed any desire on my part to follow the professional and competitive side of it.

I kept the Bicycling mag link, since they have links to workouts and things of that nature...
</idle musing>

No comments: