Monday, March 13, 2006

What I am reading now: Why I am not a Calvinist

I started a new book, which is actually a pair of books. I am reading Why I am not a Calvinist first, then I will read its companion Why I am not an Arminian next.

First, a couple of disclaimers:
1. I am a hard-core classical Wesley-Arminian. What that means is I do not believe in free will, but in free grace. This book does an excellent job on pages 69-72 of explaining the difference.

2. I went to graduate school with one of the authors, Joe Dongell. Joe was one of those students you both loved and hated to have in class. You loved it because if the prof asked a tough grammatical question, he knew the answer. You hated it because it made everbody else look bad. Joe is careful, thorough and fair. So, whatever he says, you can be sure is backed up with far more research than necessary!

I am on page 160 or so of 218 pages. So far my only complaint is the chapter on "Calvinsim and Divine Sovereignty." They list three options:
1. Divine fore-ordination of all things
2. Molinism or middle knowledge
3. Open view of God

Why don't they list simple foreknowledge? To me that seems to be the one that passes the Ockam's razor test. I have a very hard time with the "Open view."

I did find it amusing that they quote J.I. Packer as calling Wesley a confused Calvinist. That is humorous :)

OK, off to work...

1 comment:

Dr. Joseph Ray Cathey said...

I want these two books! I have strong theological leanings as you do here. I am not a Calvinists - unless we are speaking of Calvin and Hobbes.

Now you have put me onto two more good books. My Christmas list is growing.