Monday, May 22, 2006

Weekend

Well, I managed to get through a weekend without reading a single page, not a word of Greek, Hebrew or Latin. I didn't even make bread. But, I had a blast. Why? Because we are taking care of our 14 month old grandson, Joshua. Joel and Renee are at a wedding in North Carolina and they entrusted him to us on their way through. Here's what he looks like now:


<idle musing>
I spent Saturday at a convention. I have always been of the opinion that if you make good quality biblical resources available to people, they will buy them and use them. Well, I am starting to rethink that opinion. I now think people want to be entertained. They no longer want to think. If it takes longer than a sound bite to explain something, then it must be too difficult or unimportant. Below is a picture of the Carta half of the booth. One of the other exhibitors told me we had the nicest looking booth at the show. Unfortunately, that didn't transfer into sales. This was my second year at this convention, last year went well for a first year, so I decided to try it again and take more stuff. It is a cheap convention to attend, and only an hour drive.



Well, initial reaction is I should have stayed home and played with Joshua. I don't think I even covered my expenses. Which is why I am now becoming convinced that people only want entertainment. People were spending money, but it was only on stuff that was predigested and follow the dots. We sell primary material that requires effort on the part of the person to digest it. Too highbrow. One of the organizers told me that our stuff was good, but he still hadn't read the stuff he bought last year, so why buy more?

Oh well, I got Sunday with Debbie and Joshua and we had a blast together. 14 months is a fun age. They can walk and babble and love to play with you.

But now it is time to go to work and empty the van of all the leftover books...
</idle musing>

1 comment:

Dr. Joseph Ray Cathey said...

James,

Two thoughts here.

One - Natalie is 14 months also and she is so fun to play with! I love my time with her every day but then again I am dad.

Second - you could save the time and expense of unloading your van by letting me come load it into my pickup truck. In this fashion you would not have to put all those good books back on the shelf.

;->

Best
Joe