Friday, February 02, 2007

Quote for the day

In the time of our first perplexity and helplessness we prayed much to God, and God answered and God blessed, and our organization became perfected, and our band of workers became large; but gradually the organization and the work and the rush have so taken possession of us that the power of the Spirit, in which we began when we were a small company, has almost been lost.—Andrew Murray in Absolute Surrender

<idle musing>
I have seen this happen repeatedly. When I start something big (or small), I know I can't handle it, so I depend on God. But, once I have it figured out, I rush in and take over. Basically treating God like a master with me as an apprentice. The difference is that I decide the length of the apprenticeship, its terms, and once I "figure it out" I dump the master. I sign my own papers on my own authority. Then, of course, when things go wrong, it is God's fault!

Hmmm, count the number of times the first person pronoun occurs in the preceding paragraph. Kinda scary, isn't it?
</idle musing>

No comments: