Thursday, March 01, 2007

Entertainment

As I mentioned, I’m a bit behind in my blog reading, but Alan Knox over at The Assembling of the Church has a good post on entertainment. Well, actually it is a quote from another post with his reaction to it. I heartily endorse his plea: give up entertainment and love Jesus instead.

About 6-7 years ago Debbie and I went to our daughter’s church. The pastor spoke about discipleship and one of the things he said has stuck with me. He said, “As a culture, we are addicted to entertainment.” I don’t remember anything else he said, but it opened my eyes to the severity of it. I have since mentioned the idea to others, and invariably they agree. The sad part is that most of them don’t think it is a bad thing.

The usual response is, “Well, God wants us to be happy, doesn’t he?” Hmm, that sure smells like it is straight out of the pit! God wants us to filled with him; full of love for him; dead to the world and alive in him. Entertainment is all about me: making me happy; making me feel good; making me laugh, usually at the expense of someone else or via deceit of some kind.


And he said to all, “If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake, he will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.—Luke 9:23-26 RSV (see also Matt. 16:24, Mark 8:34)

No comments: