Monday, April 20, 2009

Garden, part 2

Over the weekend, I tilled the garden. This turned out to be quite the task, given that we expanded it about 50%. Three hours later, using a friend's Troybilt, and we have a 24 x 43 foot garden, with an 8 x 8 annex for the watermelon.

After I finished tilling, I needed to put the fence back up. The deer tend to not come into that area of the yard, preferring to stay closer to the creek, but I don't want to take any chances. So, 131 feet of fencing and 13 6'6" fenceposts later, we have a fenced in garden. Add the 3 foot door, and all kinds of varmints are kept out—at least that is the plan :) It worked last year and should work again this year.

The next step was to add landscape timbers. We like landscape timbers; they give a nice finished look to things. The problem always is leveling them out. The ground in that part of the yard is sloped in odd ways, making this an exciting job. Just to add to the fun, it started to rain while I was doing it. I'm not done yet...maybe tonight, if it stops raining. The plan was to go two high, but some sections ended up having 4 timbers.

I'm still hoping to get some pictures to post. Maybe tonight...

No comments: