Monday, January 25, 2010

Modern Slavery

“Why would anyone want slaves? Why would anyone want to work people for less than minimum wage? People who approach business that way want to increase their individual profit at someone else’s expense. That is not God’s way. That is anti-God. And so justice is fundamentally a stewardship issue. How do I use my gifts and skills to make sure that someone else has a better chance? That’s justice.”—Follow Me to Freedom: Leading As an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne and John Perkins

<idle musing>
I think that is a bit overly simplistic, but it is getting at the heart of justice. It reminds me of one of my favorite verses:
‏וְיִגַּ֥ל כַּמַּ֖יִם מִשְׁפָּ֑ט וּצְדָקָ֖ה כְּנַ֥חַל אֵיתָֽן
But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an everflowing stream. (Amos 5:24 NRSV)

Of course, you need to read the verses leading up to that rebuke:
Amos 5:18 Alas for you who desire the day of the LORD!
Why do you want the day of the LORD?
It is darkness, not light;
19 as if someone fled from a lion,
and was met by a bear;
or went into the house and rested a hand against the wall,
and was bitten by a snake.
20 Is not the day of the LORD darkness, not light,
and gloom with no brightness in it?
21 I hate, I despise your festivals,
and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies.
22 Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them;
and the offerings of well-being of your fatted animals
I will not look upon.
23 Take away from me the noise of your songs;
I will not listen to the melody of your harps.
24 But let justice roll down like waters,
and righteousness like an everflowing stream.

If you want to get a real feel for the impact of that set of verses, I highly recommend the first chapter of A.J. Heschel's book The Prophets. If you have never read it, you owe it to yourself to read it! Words to live by...
</idle musing>

3 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Yes, JPS, I have that book by Heschel, and read it years ago when I had to. I should read it now, because I want to! Good thoughts.

Ryan Spinti said...

I think that we can simplify it with a potentially offensive (to some) statement that IHOP (ihop.org) was singing in a chorus the other night:

"We want Jesus, we want justice!"
"If it's not Jesus, it's not justice!"

When we are rooted and grounded in Him, all of our statements, actions and judgments will be based on Jesus. God is love, but not a love like we tend to see in the world.

I think that this comes back to cultivating a Culture of Honor that is rooted in the Lord. Sounds like something we were just talking about last night. ;)

jps said...

Ted, it certainly will bear a re-reading. Let me know what you think this time through.

Yes, Ryan, it does sound like what we were talking about last night.

James