Thursday, September 23, 2010

True rest

"Most of us are still rest-seekers. The lack of rest within us proves that we haven't really entered His rest. I was a rest-seeker for years, because I hadn't found rest. For a long, long time I thought that the rest was just a kind of passive existence. I wanted to go to a retreat and get somebody to take care of me, so I could get out of my regular routine and shift into neutral. I called that rest. But that wasn't rest.

My concept of rest was external because my inner knowing wasn't any deeper than that. My inner knowing was still just me. I didn't have any spiritual awareness deeper than an awareness of myself. And since that was my deepest awareness, I had to make myself look acceptable before I could possibly be at rest. So I tried to stop my soul fluctuations, which God never meant us to stop. It was all based on my works, my efforts. I couldn't be at rest that way, because I was trying to do something that was foreign to God's plan for my life. If we're constantly trying to stop an activity within us that God has put into motion, then we never will know rest."— The Rest of the Gospel: When the partial Gospel has worn you out, pages 246-247

<idle musing>
Amen! Good preaching! Stop trying to be what you aren't and can never be. Relax, and let God live through you so you can be who you already are.
</idle musing>

No comments: