Thursday, March 10, 2011

First they came

First They came... - Pastor Martin Niemoller
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

<idle musing>
Today, we would need to reword it a bit. The communists is pretty much dead, so we can drop that. The trade unionist is happening right now. The Jews has become the Muslims, and that is happening right now, as well. Guess who's next?

By the way, Niemoller spent 8 years in a concentration camp because he wouldn't knuckle under. He was one of the founders of the Confessing Church that included Bonhoeffer. The Confessing Church stood against the blending of government and the church—sound familiar?
</idle musing>

4 comments:

Andy said...

Communism isn't really dead and gone, friend. It's still very much alive and active around the globe.

jps said...

True. I was localizing it to the US.

James

J. L. Watts said...

Where you go, I'll go, James

That's my 2 cents! said...

I'm stealing your idea, for your blog... Now I'm going to shamelessly plug my latest post...on your site!!

Come by and see, if you like.

Miss wonderful you and that wonderful wife of yours! I'm trying to convince mom that we should return the favor and come visit youins up thar!