Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Update on food

So, it has been one week now since the dairy and eggs disappeared. I have to say that I really haven't noticed the difference. The pizza was a bit strange without cheese, but I found that I could detect the flavors of the various ingredients better. I liked it.

One thing I have noticed is that the granola seems sweeter without milk—as did the cornbread we made last night. That was an experiment that turned out, but I wasn't too sure at first. I made chili and we wanted to have cornbread to go with it; I haven't been able to find a recipe without egg, milk, or butter/oil. So, we improvised. I substituted water for the milk, skipped the egg, and used applesauce for the oil. The texture of the batter was a bit strange, so I wasn't sure. I checked it after 12 minutes and it looked ok. I checked it again at 22 minutes and took it out. Believe it or not, it was good—except it was too sweet. Next time I'll reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons; if that isn't sweet enough, then I'll try 3 tablespoons. I know some of you were raised without sugar in your cornbread, but I like it a bit sweet.

The chili was good, too, but I've always made vegetarian chili, so that was no change. The one difference was that I didn't add cheese to my bowl, but I really didn't miss it. On the whole, not much has changed in my diet, except dropping the dairy. We've been experimenting with some recipes. Some work, some don't. But, that's always been true :)

3 comments:

Rick Brannan said...

Can you send me your cornbread recipe (text geek at g mail)? My wife has dairy, egg and cane sugar allergies, so I'd like to see what you've got going on here. She's also sans gluten, but we can probably figure that out if everything else works.

tim bulkeley said...

The apple puree (which I think is what you mean when you say "applesauce"?) would have quite a lot of sugars.

I'd be interested in your chilli recipe, as I'd assume something is offering the umami that the cheese would supply?

So perhaps another post with the recipes ;)

jps said...

Rick & Tim,

I'll post the cornbread recipe along with the chili recipe. See today's post (which should be up in a few minutes...).

James