Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring!

This is crazy! It was in the upper 70ºs F this weekend. That's a good 25ºF above normal. The daffodils are in full bloom, the plum tree in our yard burst into flower on Friday; yesterday the peach tree was starting to blossom. I can't help but think they will get nipped by frost before all is over.

This time of year is hard on a gardener; I want to plant, but I know it won't last. Over the weekend, I cleaned up some of the beds, weeding them and cultivating them. Last year, I put out broccoli about this time only to have the temperature crash into the low 20ºs F the next week. I've got broccoli seedlings in the basement that I'm tempted to put out—sure way to make the temperature crash! Oh well, I think I'll do it anyway.

The broccoli raab, spinach, and sprouting broccoli that I planted last November in the hoop house are starting to go crazy. I'm needing to pick the first two just about daily to keep up with it. The Romaine lettuce is just about ready to start picking, too.

Oh, and the rhubarb is starting to come up. No asparagus yet :( I was weeding it this weekend, but didn't see any shoots coming up...

No comments: