Friday, April 13, 2012

Another book

Time for something a bit less academic. I'll be blogging through The Victorious Life for the next week or two. Join me on the journey; it should be fun!

Finally, the Bible says, 'Whatsoever is not of faith is sin' (Romans 14:23). This simply means we are to live out of our trust in, and dependence on, God rather than in denial of, or indifference to, God. We are to make our decisions out of faith in God, not out of doubt or unbelief—John Coblentz in The Victorious Life, page 6

<idle musing>
Indeed! One of the names for Christians is "believers!" We need to act according to that...
</idle musing>

3 comments:

That's my 2 cents! said...

A better name for Christians/believers, is "obedient ones". "This is love for God; to obey his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world."

"obedient ones" is also SCARY, so what do you say we go with the scary one?! :-)

Lonnie

jps said...

Lonnie,

As long as we understand that we can only be obedient by the power of the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, we are either deceiving ourselves and being self-righteous, or we are bound to fail.

James

That's my 2 cents! said...

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, JAMES. I cannot produce anything but sin and brokenness. Jesus tells us, "I do everything I see the Father doing." Only Jesus can do what the Father does. It is only Jesus in us and through us who can do what the Father does. I do not even have the capacity without being born of God, and 100% enabled of God from start to finish. Only God can do what God does.

The Church today, like the religious of Jesus ministry days, have lost sight of "a righteousness which is only from God." Why else does God teach us, "I am dead to sin..." Dead is the expectation. If I am dead to sin then I am dead to all I can do, and all I am. "It is Christ who lives...," because only Christ can do what pleases Father.

We are absolutely on the same page on this!!!

:-)