Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Alone? (New book)

Many years ago, I read the Joshua books and really enjoyed them. The other day, I was in a thrift store and saw a book by the same author, Joseph Girzone, that I was unfamiliar with. It's a slim little volume, and for fifty cents, what could go wrong? So I bought it and started reading it. I found it delightful and also encouraging. Join me over the next few weeks as I post excerpts from Never Alone, published in 1995.
I used to think I was odd. As I grew older, though, and saw so much of others’ pain, I began to realize that the whole world is filled with pain. I was not unique in feeling alone on a planet way out in the middle of space. Everyone eventually has the same experience in life. Friends come and go, passing in and out of your life. Strangers establish a friendship when they need you, then when their need is resolved, they drift. If you are sincere in your friendship this is hard to understand. People you love remain for a time, then they too leave when they outgrow their need for you. If at the twilight of your life you have one dear friend who has endured the fickleness of existence and remained in your life you are blessed. But, for the most part, you walk alone, very much alone. 4— Never Alone, 4

No comments: