Tuesday, March 21, 2023

A cry for companionship

423 6th P. M. 6 lines 7s.
The Light of light.

O DISCLOSE thy lovely face!
   Quicken all my drooping powers ;
   Grasps my fainting soul for grace,
   As a thirsty land for showers:
   Hasten , Lord, no more delay;
   Come, my Saviour, come away.

2 Dark and cheerless is the morn,
   Unaccompanied by thee;
   Joyless is the day’s return,
   Till thy mercy’s beams I see:
   Till thou inward life impart,
   Glad my eyes, and warm my heart.

3 Visit then this soul of mine;
   Pierce the gloom of sin and grief;
   Fill me, Radiancy divine;
   Scatter all my unbelief :
   More and more thyself display,
   Shining to the perfect day.
                        Charles Wesley
                        Methodist Episcopal hymnal (1870 edition)

No comments: