Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Art thou weary?

193 Stephanos. 8. 5. 8. 3.

1 Art thou weary, art thou languid,
   art thou sore distrest?
   'Come to me,' saith One, 'and coming,
   be at rest!"

2 Hath he marks to lead me to him,
   if he be my guide?
   In his feet and hands are wound-prints,
   and his side.

3 Hath he diadem as monarch
   that his brow adorns?
   Yea, a crown, in very surety,
   but of thorns.

4 If I find him, if I follow,
   what his guerdon here?
   Many a sorrow, many a labour,
   many a tear.

5 If I still hold closely to him,
   what has he at last?
   Sorrow vanquished, labour ended,
   Jordan past.

6 If I ask him to receive me,
   will he say me nay?
   Not till earth, and not till heaven
   pass away.

7 Finding, following, keeping, struggling,
   is he sure to bless?
   Angels, martyrs, prophets, virgins,
   answer, yes!
                         From the Greek, 8th century
                         Tr. by John M. Neale
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
According to hymnary.org, the author was St. Stephan of Mar Sabas, for whom they have no information. Makes sense that the tune would be named Stephanos, then.

I did a quick internet search and came up with this, which has this little tidbit:

Stephen placed a note on the door of his cell: “Forgive me, Fathers, in the name of the Lord, but please do not disturb me except on Saturdays and Sundays.”
I know some people who would like to put that note on their office door!

The Wiki has more information on him. He sounds like an interesting character.
</idle musing>

No comments: