Monday, June 04, 2007

Plone help needed

I am trying, vainly, to get a Plone site up and running. Here’s my problem:
I am running Plone on Debian Etch on a bare Zope server (no Apache). Plone is listening on port 8081 (the Debian default install). I am trying to remap incoming traffic using the Virtual Host Monster (VHM), but to no avail. Yes, I have RTFineM and googled, so don’t flame me if it is obvious to you. It isn’t to me, even after the fine Manual. I’ve tried 4 remappings, all unsuccessfully:

/VirtualHostBase/http/www.mysite.com:8081/Mysite/VirtualHostRoot/
/VirtualHostBase/http/www.mysite.com:80/Mysite/VirtualHostRoot/
/VirtualHostBase/http/www.mysite.com:8081/VirtualHostRoot/Mysite
/VirtualHostBase/http/www.mysite.com:80/VirtualHostRoot/Mysite

Any ideas?

Second problem: I can’t get the e-mail to interface correctly. I am running Exim, which I have never run before, so I may have it configured incorrectly. But, here is the error:

Site error

This site encountered an error trying to fulfill your request. The errors were:

Error Type
SMTPException
Error Value
SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server.
Request made at
2007/05/30 16:42:03.513 GMT-5

Any assistance would be most gratefully accepted. If you need more details, either e-mail me or leave a comment.

Hey, while I’m asking, if you have experience changing the logo on a random basis, I’ll accept help on that too! Any other Plone expertise might be of use, too. I’m not above begging, or bribing with books, for that matter :)

2 comments:

Kirk Lowery said...

It would be helpful to know:

1. what version of zope/plone
2. the contents of your zope.conf file

Make sure that in your root zope folder (NOT your root Plone folder) you have installed a "Virtual Host Monster" object. This is done from the Zope Management Interface.

Another thing to check is that the zope server is actually running. Make sure that the zope process is stable and has not exited abnormally.

Assuming all the above are correct, and the virtual URL does not work, what error message does your browser show?

Kirk

Kirk Lowery said...

One more thing. The URL:

/VirtualHostBase/http/www.mysite.com:8081/Mysite/VirtualHostRoot/

needs to have a Zope folder with the name "mysite.com". And if you want a Plone site to be read from that URL, then the Plone site must be inside that folder!

Also, I'm not sure the "8081" is needed. That might be confusing zope. Try it without the port number.

Hope this helps. Let me know what happens.

Kirk