Monday, February 25, 2008

What does revival look like?

<idle musing>
I don’t know about you, but I pray for revival. But what does revival look like? Would I recognize it if it came? Do I have any idea what I am praying for?

As I read about revivals in the past, one thing stands out above all else: revival begins with repentance. When the presence of God falls, people get honest and confess the “little sins” that they normally would overlook. Am I ready for that? Am I ready to admit that I am truly fallen, that without the continual, moment-by-moment empowering of God I will do nothing but sin? Or, am I content to think that I am not so bad after all, that God will overlook all those “little sins” that society and I accept in my life? Am I ready for the spotlight of the Holy Spirit to look into the corners of my life? Am I ready to truly surrender? No just a conditional surrender, but an unconditional, absolute, no strings attached surrender?

If the answer to any of those is no, then revival will continue to tarry, at least in my life. Those are the conditions God lays down. And, one could go further and question whether I have any right to say that I am a Christian if I am not living on God’s terms instead of my own. . .
</idle musing>

1 comment:

That's my 2 cents! said...

I like what my mentor Pastor Lynn Reves used to suggest in situations like these. He'd say, "If you aren't willing at the moment you can pray 'Lord, I'm willing to be made willing."' I have found that to be a very useful prayer over the last 17 1/2 years. :-)

Lonnie