Monday, June 23, 2008

Strawberries

It's that time of the year again. A bit later than normal this year because it has been so cold, but that worked out better for me with our wacky schedule this year. Saturday I picked about 40 pounds of strawberries—20 pounds for freezer jam and 20 pounds sliced and frozen. I wanted 50 pounds, but because it is toward the end of the season, the berries were smaller and it took longer than normal to pick.

We still don't have a car, and the patch is about 15 miles away, so Jon loaned me his car. I couldn't have fit that many strawberries onto the bike trailer without crushing them. I certainly didn't want strawberry juice :)

I got to the patch around 9:00 and had picked about 15 pounds when it got cloudy and windy and looked (and sounded) like it was going to rain. In fact, it did start to sprinkle and most people quit and went home. Not me. Instead I asked God to send the storm south of us and let me finish picking. Sure enough, that storm went south of us and I kept on picking. A bit later, when I had about 35 pounds, it started to look like rain again, but I kept on praying. When I hit 40 pounds, my back was starting to hurt and I decided to quit.

I was carrying the flats up to the stand to pay for them when it started to rain. By the time I had the fourth flat there, it was pouring rain. Next time, I will remember to ask God to keep the rain away until I have them paid for! Oh well, I didn't melt, nor did the strawberries.

The rest of the day was spent making jam, slicing strawberries and freezing them. We finished at about 11:00 PM. Long day, but it will be well worth it this winter when Debbie makes shortcake. But, right now I don't want to see another strawberry for a while...

No comments: