Monday, January 05, 2009

Scripture as we live it #36

Alan Knox has a series called “Scripture as we live it” where he takes a common verse and edits it to reflect how we really live it out; the last one was today, and numbered 35. Sunday I was reading in I John and ran across this set of verses, as we live them:

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not because you will sin. But if And when anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous as long as we read our Bibles, pray, and go to church regularly; and he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of and we are free to judge the whole world because they don't conform to our doctrine. (I John 2:1-2 re-mix)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think it's foolish/heretical/un"biblical" to hope that 1 John 2:2 indicates that in the end no one will be condemned?

jps said...

I don't think it is heretical, but I don't think you can make a very good case for it on just that verse. Personally, I don't think there is enough biblical justification for universal salvation, but many theologians over the years have considered it, beginning with Origen in the 3rd century.

James