Thursday, June 25, 2009

Why is it...

I rarely post on current events, but this is an
<idle musing> that came to me today:

I first ran across it in-person while I was an undergraduate in college—which I managed to cram into 8 years, by the way. We were in married student housing, and one of our neighbors had come back to school after working for several years to get a degree in art; he wanted to teach high school. He was an excellent potter and a good artist. He was in his final year, less than 4 months from graduation when he moved out on his wife and young child. He had met a woman at the jean factory where he worked part-time and decided he wanted to move in with her. Because it was a Christian college, he dropped out and threw away those years in school. Last I heard, he was still working at the jean factory.

Later, I ran across it at a place I worked. The sales manager had a female employee that should have been let go, but...well, you know. His (and my) boss told him to "think with his head, not his dick" and fire her. Mind you, at this same time that boss was having an affair with a customer service person—while his wife was pregnant with their third kid.

Since then, I have seen it over and over. Men (and women) throw away everything for a fling. They know it is wrong; that the results won't be worth the moment, but they do it anyway. As that country song puts it: "What part of no don't you understand."

To me, this is proof of our total inability to do any good without the grace of God. Without the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit, we know what to do, but we can't. It is only by the transforming, empowering presence of God that anyone can live the Christian life. The latest collapse by a "moral leader" is but further proof of it.
</idle musing>

2 comments:

Jim said...

we call it total depravity...

Unknown said...

Well! you are right.As far as wwomen are concerned, men have gone to war. All things said and done, men will be men. This is Ben from Israeli Uncensored News