Monday, October 26, 2009

Oops!

We have been making our own bread for years—before I even met Debbie, actually. But, while the kids were at home we only made it once in a while. Once they left, I don't think we've bought more than 2 loaves of bread in 5 years. Anyway, digression over.

Saturday, I was making rye bread and reached for what I thought was caraway seed to add. It turned out to be celery seed! Four teaspoons worth into the flour. Yikes! I realized my mistake before adding the liquids, so not all was lost. I lost about a 1/4 cup of rye flour along with the seed, but couldn't get all the celery seed out.

After the bread baked, I took a slice (while it was still hot, of course!)...it tasted like celery seed. Debbie took a slice, but her's didn't. Neither did my next slice, until the last bite. Seems where ever the celery seed was, it permeated that bite. There must be a lesson there...

1 comment:

Andy said...

And here I thought you were going to have a serendipitous moment, and discover something great.

Not that anything great has ever come from celery, of course...