Friday, May 07, 2010

National day of prayer

Yesterday was the National Day of Prayer here in the US. I know there were lots of rallies, conferences, and meetings in general, but I fear there was precious little prayer.

One of the favorite verses on days like this is 2 Chronicles 7:14:

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Let's assume for the sake of argument, that this applies to the US. How are we doing?
1. If my people, who are called by my name... Check
2. Will humble themselves... Do we really have to?
3. and pray... Don't meetings and rallies count?
4. and seek my face... Come on now! Can't we just seek the blessings instead?
5. and turn from their wicked ways... But, we aren't as evil as those other guys! Surely God will make an exception for us!
6. Then I will hear from heaven... Yes! Sign me up for this one!
7. And I will forgive their sin... What sin? We're doing fine, thank you! It's those other guys that are the problem!
7. And will heal their land... Of course! I'll take that one, too.

See! We qualify because we meet the first standard and want the results of 6 & 8!

Sorry. It doesn't work that way...and take note, the people who are supposed to do the humbling, seeking, and turning are the ones who are called by his name—not "those other guys."

2 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Interesting thoughts, JPS. I was thinking on that day, and I wonder if being more steeped in the Great Tradition, or in the faith in its Jewish side, as our faith really is, and I mean more in the line of how we approach prayers, would be most edifying. I wonder whether much of any note was played at all as to confessing our own sins to God. Much depth in places like "The Book of Common Prayer" (minus some modern additions, I hear) which we do well to seek to work into our spiritual DNA. I am thankful that this manner of praying is practiced well in the church I'm a part of.

jps said...

Ted,

Yes, confession of our own sins seems to be on the wane; we're very good at confessing the sins of others. But, the mirror usually reveals a good bit of sin in our own lives.

Thanks for your comment.

James