Thursday, October 20, 2011


I had a request for the recipes yesterday, so here you go. I don't claim they are anything special, but I like them.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 t salt
2 t baking powder
1/4 cup sugar/honey <---this was too sweet for me; try halving it
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup water

Mix the dry ingredients, add the liquid ones and mix. Avoid overmixing as it develops the gluten and make a tougher cornbread. Pour into a 9x9 glass pan. Bake at 350ºF for 22 minutes (may vary, depending on your oven).

2 quarts stewed tomatoes (I use home canned, obviously)
1 small can of tomato paste
1/4 t cummin
1/4 t chili powder
1/4 t paprika
chili peppers (I used a small can because I didn't grow them this year)
3 onions, minced
1/2 green pepper, diced
simmer for about an hour, stirring periodically
add a can of kidney beans and heat through (about 30 minutes) (I have used dried kidney beans in the past, but they take forever to rehydrate!)

I add a few drops of habanero sauce to my bowl; it is too strong for Debbie, so I don't add it to the main pot. I also broke up some cornbread and added it to my bowl. I didn't miss the cheese.

We finished up the leftovers last night. The cornbread didn't age very well; it was still ok, but without the oil and egg, it gets old quickly, so eat it the first day :)

About substituting the flour in the cornbread recipe: our granddaughter is celiac, so our daughter started a blog that has some information. I know Renee found a good substitute for flour—a mix of various stuff. It actually is quite good; I eat it when we are visiting them. Maybe Renee would be willing to post it in the comments?


Rick Brannan said...

Thanks, James!

Bev said...

Would you also please post yours and Debbie's recipe for the oatmeal-raisin cookies?

jps said...


I'll get it this weekend and post it.


Joel and Renee said...

Sure thing! Due to copyright issues I can't freely share it anywhere but there is a YouTube video of Jules herself explaining her Gluten Free flour mix. You can find it here:

jps said...

Thanks Renee!