Friday, June 01, 2007

And the frustration level climbs...

Ah yes, it's that time again, and the frustration level begins to climb and I feel the pinch of the clock ticking away...what could be so stressful? Simple, it's time to update the Ancient Near Eastern Resource Catalog. The stress is two-fold: I have to have it created, proofread, bound and printed by the time Jim leaves for the RAI conference in early July. Second, how do you narrow down all the excellent books on the ANE to only 2500-3000?

Considering that printing and binding takes 2-3 weeks, that doesn't leave me a whole lot of time! I certainly can't afford to short-change the proof-reading, or you will have way too much fun pointing out my various errors :)

I have done the easy part, all the series titles (about 2000 titles), but now I have to select the most important reference works for 16 different languages in the ANE. That is not an easy task. I'm sure I will miss something important, or something I list will go out of print about 2 weeks after the catalog goes to press, or a publisher will announce a major work and everyone will ask how could I possibly have missed X?

Oh well, my problems are minor in the great scheme of things!

No comments: