Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Oxymoron

<idle musings>
Being the director of marketing, I get some interesting e-mails, but this one struck me as an oxymoron: Christian consumers

Perhaps that is appropriate; maybe the church has degenerated in our culture into just another group to target in niche marketing. But, it still struck me as odd, theologically. Christians, who are called to die to the world, "love not the world" in the words of I John, are now seen as just another segment of the population to receive targeted marketing.

Of course, the really scary thing about it is that it works! The christian subculture is big business. I don't remember the figures now, but it runs in the billions of dollars. But, it still strikes me as an oxymoron.
</idle musings>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I saw "christian consumers" I thought you were going to talk about lions...

;-)