Thursday, March 05, 2009

An interesting thought

Over the weekend, I was reviewing some of the posts that I have flagged, and ran across this little snippet from last April. It is a quote from John Newton on A Place for the God-Hungry:

. . and he is never more a devil than when he looks most like an angel.  Let us beware of him; for many wise have been deceived, and many strong have been cast down by him.

<idle musing>
Sometimes I think we expect the enemy to come in and announce, “Hi, I'm the devil. I hate you and I'm here to destroy you.”

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to resist temptations if that were true? :) But, it doesn't work that way; God expects us to rely on Him for our moment-by-moment walk in the Spirit. It is only then that we are able to discern the difference between the enemy, the flesh, and the Spirit of God. And, it is only by the power of the indwelling Spirit of God that we are able to resist.
</idle musing>

No comments: