Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring!

Yes, I know it isn't officially here yet, but yesterday sure was beautiful!

I love the season changes; I love winter, but am glad that things are turning green again. I looked at the lilac bushes yesterday night. They have begun to put out little leaves, about 1/2 long right now. The fruit trees have buds that are about to burst open; the maples are getting ready to flower.

I walked over to the garden, trying to see signs of raspberries coming up. Not yet. Then I went over to the herb garden and looked for signs of mint, parley, oregano, but in vain. The chives, though, have 2 inch sprouts. I plucked one off and bit it. The stalks are nice and thick and juicy this time of year and a burst of onion filled my mouth. I plucked a second one to intensify the flavor. Wow, sure did taste good. But, the flavor stuck in my mouth the rest of the night; after a while it does get old :)

I started riding my road bike again this week. Talk about fast! With the mountain bike, it takes me about 25 minutes to get to work. With the road bike, I can do it in 15. The mountain bike I have is heavy and a bit too small for me, but it serves its purpose well. I wouldn't want to be riding my road bike with its skinny tires and expensive components in the salt and snow!

Enjoy the season! I know I am, even though the garden won't get planted for a while yet :)

2 comments:

Andy said...

Mountain biking through winter makes one a much stronger road rider come spring. You're welcome. :-)

Joel and Renée said...

It's beautiful here too! I really think spring is coming early this year. Though we don't have budding trees yet, the snow is melting fast and there's plenty of mud!