Friday, July 17, 2009

Geek at heart

I guess I'm just a geek at heart. Today I received a link to the original Apollo 11 mission. They are playing back in real time the audio of the mission. Too cool! I have it running in the background.

I was 13 at the time of the original mission. That July I was in Farragut State Park in Idaho--along with 34,000 other Boy Scouts for the 1969 National Jamboree. Since Neil Armstrong was an eagle scout, there was a lot of excitement. I don't remember all the details, but I do remember that he sent along a radio greeting to us from the moon. I also remember seeing very grainy footage projected onto a huge screen one of the nights. This was long before Jumbotrons™, but it was thrilling to look above us at the moon and think that what we were seeing in front of us was actually going on above us.

No comments: