Monday, February 22, 2010

Cheese update

On Saturday morning, I made yogurt, as usual. But, I also started some colby; the process from start to the beginning of pressing took about 3.5 hours, maybe a bit more. My press is a home made one that cost about $5.00 to make, maybe a bit less. I'll try to remember to get a picture of it posted. Without a picture it is difficult to picture the problems I had, but I'll try...

You are supposed to press the cheese for 20 minutes at 20 pounds of pressure. If you have a fancy $250 + press, that is easy. My $5.00 one relies on me adding weight to the top. Well, I know that a gallon of water weighs about 7 pounds, so that means 3 gallons of water. I proceeded to balance 3 gallons of water on a 2 x 4 on top of a 10 x 12 frame on top of a 2 x 4 placed vertically. It worked! After that, you flip the cheese and increase the weight to 40 pounds. That was easy; I just put a 40 pound salt bag on top. Well, it didn't quite work out so nice; the bag tipped and one side of the cheese had more pressure than the other. After an hour, you flip again and add 50 pounds. That took some figuring, but I finally came up with a criss-cross of 2 x 4s that allowed me to put 7 gallons of water on it. But, it fell over after about an hour :( I finally put the 40 pound salt bag back on and just added 2 hours to the time. The cheese came out looking beautiful.

I put it on a mat to dry in my study. It needs to dry for a few days before waxing and then aging for about a month. About halfway through Sunday, my curiosity got the better of me so I cut it in half and sliced off a nice chunk to try. Hmmm, not bad. It tastes like colby, but milder. I think it might be OK after aging a bit.

On the mozzarella front, Jim and Shannon came over Saturday evening and we made another batch. Delicious, the best batch so far. I think mozzarella sticks are going to be a staple around here! So much fresher—and they even squeak as you eat them. That's the real test of freshness!

3 comments:

Nick Norelli said...

I'm envious of your gardening and cheese making. Lord willing I'll have the room one day to try my hand at it. Do let us know how it turns out after aging.

Andy said...

I don't normally associate "mozzarella" and "squeak." Must know more...

10# weights can be had very cheaply at most sporting goods stores; perhaps build a pole onto the plunger, and add weight that way?

Andy

jps said...

Nick, even if you only have a small yard, you can put in a few vegetables.

Andy,
Fresh cheese squeaks, and since mozzarella isn't aged, it squeaks when it is first made. I heard one person say that a fresh mozzarella "bleeds" milk when it is cut.

If, as seems likely, I will continue to make cheese, then I will have to invest in some weights. The original goal was to spend the least amount of money possible. I didn't want to sink a lot of cash into something that ended up not working.

James