Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cheese update

Well, we tried the Colby this weekend. I took a half-pound of it with me when I went to get Debbie. I think it aged at too warm a temperature, or for too long. It tastes good, but it doesn't taste mellow like Colby usually does. It has a bit of a bite to it, which I like. I was pleasantly surprised that everyone else thought it was good, too. We made short work of that half-pound.

It is somewhat difficult to get the paraffin off, though. It cracks and comes off in small pieces. I suspect that is why they use a special cheese wax, but I didn't want to spend too much money until I decided if it was worth the effort. I've decided it is :) So, I will probably be getting some nice red cheese wax some time soon.

The mozzarella that I made last Tuesday and turned into mozzarella sticks went over well, too. It isn't supposed to stay good for more than a few days, but I tried wrapping it in wax paper and then putting it in a Ziplock™ bag. It kept the cheese moist and good tasting. Debbie's eating the last one today, a week later. Not too bad...

So, on the whole, the cheese making experiment has been a success. I think I might try brick next. We can't buy it locally, but I snagged a pound of it in Wisconsin this weekend—actually Debbie's sister gave it to us. The recipe I found says to rub some existing brick cheese around the block of new cheese to transfer the bacteria linens to it. This is the bacteria that gives brick (and Limburger) its distinctive taste.

No comments: