Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Promised pictures

OK, I've been promising pictures of a few things lately, so here we go...

My $5.00 cheese press (actually, it might be about $8.00). Note that it is all wood, no metal for the salt to corrode.

Fully assembled. Note the black markers to line up which is front. The original design only had two dowels, but that proved too unstable, so I went with four.


The circle of wood is called a follower; it goes between the 2x3 boards and the cheese cloth. All the wood is birch, so that it doesn't add any flavor to the cheese. The mold is cut from a gallon vinegar container.


The two 2x3s act as a plunger, pushing the follower down with all the weight that is stacked on the top board. I usually put a 40 pound bag of water softener salt on top for the weight.


Here's the compost bin; not a whole lot to say about :)


And, with Jim Baad's help last night, carrying them up from the basement, here are the cold frames. They are about 2' by 4' in size. Once it warms up, I will take the lids off.




My hope is to set up a hoop house and garden year round with the double protection of cold frame and hoop house keeping things warm enough to stay above freezing. I'll keep you posted on that...

No comments: