Friday, January 06, 2006

House church musings

There is a provocative post over at Simple Church blog about "organic" church life. I quote from the third paragraph:

"Quite frankly their are many house churches that are dead as dead can be for lack of understanding God's organics. The bottom line to this is that the same principles of living life in the Spirit that lead to new works, Simple Churches and in some cases house church equally apply to enhancing the effectiveness and fruitfulness of modern & conventional congregations. All it takes is a willingness to being filled, being taught, and being commissioned by the Holy Spirit. Without this all forms, models or approaches to any kind of Church activity is all froth, all smoke, wood hay & stubble, and in the end illusionary."

<idle musing>
Form does not guarantee substance. I have been to house churches that are dead and I have been to mega-churches that are alive. If God is honored, he will be there. That said, I believe that certain forms tend to foster a more communal experiencing of God's presence. And the form that I prefer is the smaller house church/home gathering/Bible Study/Prayer group/whatever you want to call it this week environment. I know that scares some people off, but that is where I tend to encounter God the most. Not dissing any other form, God can, has, and does use them.
</idle musing>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Great site! We've done home church for a while and its been good. Relationships are some of the most precious things God can give us. Real ones! But like anything else, the more religion you let into it, the more dead it becomes. We try to let Jesus instigate everything.

I am a musician, and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All of the music is free for download. Anyway, just thought that I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
___________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free for download."