Friday, August 25, 2006

Neo-Fundamentalism

Scot McKnight is at it again. This time he noticed a scary trend, The Rise of Neo-Fundamentalism. I quote in part:

There is a conviction among Neo-Fundamentalists that one can’t err if one gets too conservative, but that is the sin of what I called “zealotry.”

What I can’t understand is why people want to go there: its history is predictable. Though I’m no prophet, this is what I think might occur:
It will become insular and separatistic,
it will become divisive and accusatory from within,
it will lack grace,
it will create Christians who are not free in the Spirit but who will be rigid and intolerant,
it will become socially withdrawn,
it will lose a prophetic voice because it will lose contact with culture,
it will attract angry, defensive, and mean-spirited individuals… I could go on.

<idle musing>
Lord, deliver us. May it not be true of us that "on account of you the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles."
</idle musing>

No comments: