Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Revolution by Barna


On my vacation I finally read The Revolution by George Barna. I had read the review in Christianity Today which slammed it, so I didn't figure I would read it. But, Jim, the guy who runs God's Barn (where we stayed the second week, more later) said I might find it interesting. He was right.

I understand why CT finds it frightening, as would all people with a stake in the established church. I personally found a book that describes who I have been since God got a firm hold on my life over 32 years ago. I thought I had a broad description of what constitutes church, having been involved in house churches off and on for over 30 years. But, Barna's is broader (and more biblical!). He says that whenever two or more Christians get together, it is church.

I only have two beefs with the book:
  • He calls Christians sinners

  • No where in the New Testament are Christians who are redeemed called sinners. They are always called Saints.

  • He misrepresents the Wesleyan Revival somewhat

  • I can forgive him this, because he is seeing it through the lenses of the Great Awakening and Jonathan Edwards. This is a very common error by people in the United States and doesn't diminish the value of the book at all.

    Other than that, I would highly recommend the book. It may help you understand some of those strange Christians in your life—or you may find yourself described and discover that you aren't the only one out there. :)

    No comments: