Tuesday, April 29, 2008

That $600 check

Out of Ur has an interesting take on the government economic stimulus checks:

“I thought that spending my check from the government was supposed to be the patriotic thing to do, but I’m not sure it’s the Kingdom thing to do.” That is how my friend Chuck began explaining his idea about what our congregation could do with the economic stimulus payments that begin arriving in the mail this week. After hearing so much about the sluggish economy and our responsibility to jumpstart it through consumption, he was wondering if there might be a better way to invest Uncle Sam’s rebate.

On Sunday, I invited Chuck to join me in front of our church. I asked him to explain why spending the money on himself was not the best thing he could do with it. “As I read about the government’s plan in the news, the more the idea of spending money on myself seemed to be at odds with the values of God’s kingdom,” he said. He told us he’d been reading Jesus’ words in Luke 12 and it appeared to be opposed to the message that we can spend our way to prosperity, security, and happiness.

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear… Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted.

Chuck said that Kingdom investment doesn’t necessarily mean giving money to the church.

Read the rest for suggestions.

<idle musing>
Yes. A kingdom view is probably a good bit different than the official government view. It is encouraging to see people asking God what to do with the money instead of rushing out to spend it on themselves.
</idle musing>

3 comments:

That's my 2 cents! said...

Very good post! Lots of good food for thought.

Now I have a question for you, off the subject. I'm writing a book called The Oft Traveled Road. You won't like it, I'm self publishing. It's about how much of the Church in America has chosen to walk the "broad road", while paving the road to Hell for lost people. Sounds inflamatory doesn't it?

But that's not the question I have. You may not know how to answer it, but perhaps could point me in the right direction.

One of the many stories I'd like to tell is one I have no way of factually backing up. I can back up all of my other stories in the book through some means, but this one I can't in any way prove happpened. It is a personal story, something which happened to me, butI do not know how to get in contact with anyone else who was involved in the encounter. I don't even know the others names. the encounter was brief but powerful. It would be exceptionally useful too me, but if challenged there is no way to prove it took place.

Hope you and D are well!

Love

Lonnie

jps said...

Lonnie,

That is exactly the kind of thing that self-publishing is good for—small market, not academic, personal friends, witnessing tool.

As to your question, you were there; you remember it. Maybe some of the other people who were there will read it and contact you. I wouldn't be too concerned; you aren't submitting it to a review board for a promotion or degree.

Besides, look at the egg on the face of some of the major publishers recently for publishing memoirs full of made up stories :(

James

That's my 2 cents! said...

Thanks for the input, and I'll think about what you've said.

I've thought about putting it forth as a "what if" kind of scenario. You know "what if this were to happen..." But I fear it would lose some power.

Also it is exactly because of recently published works that I am so skittish. True my book may never meet a real publisher, but that has nothing to do with having integrity in the process.

Further thoughts?

Thanks Much,

Lonnie