Saturday, November 01, 2008

AAR Day 0

Yes, day zero :) The conference technically began last night at 7:00, with the exhibit halls being open until 9:00. Attendance was light, to be kind.

The exhibit hall is divided into 2 halves and is in the deep dungeons of the Chicago Hilton. It isn't immediately obvious to people that there are 2 halves, so maybe most people stayed in the other half. I haven't talked to anyone from that half yet, so I don't know if they had more people. But, there was a nice reception going on for attendee—on the second floor! That probably kept quite a few people away.

The accommodations are nice, although why I would need two bathrooms in my room is beyond me. The workout room is actually an "Athletic Club." They have Precor equipment all around, treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, and recumbents. Very nice. I grabbed a recumbent and rode for half hour, but I have to laugh at the heart rate thing. I have learned that I have to tell it that I am 40 or it thinks I have exceeded my maximum heart rate and should be dead. Even then, it thinks I am working too hard. For those of you keeping score, I am actually 52, but my maximum heart rate is much higher than most people that age.

They even have a real swimming pool! It is only 20 yards and 4 lanes, but it is swimmable. I think tonight after the exhibits close I will go for a swim. They told me it is chlorine, which is good because I am allergic to bromide. For those of you still reading, bromide is the most common chemical used in hot tubs, etc., but a large percentage of people are allergic to it, including me. Some pools are using bromide now, too. It is easier to get the balance right and cheaper, as well.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Today at noon I am part of an AAR panel on "what to do with a religion/humanities degree other than teach." It includes lunch, so that is nice. I have no idea what I will be asked, but I can say that I have enjoyed the 20 plus years of not being in school and doing all kinds of interesting jobs, for the last 5 right here at Eisenbrauns.

I will try to get pictures up later. I even remembered the USB cable this time :)

No comments: