Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The worship of sports

Jim West, always at his best when trying to make enemies, has a very good observation today about the upcoming football game:

I think that ‘churches’ which cancel worship for a ball game aren’t worthy of the name church. Furthermore, I think that when entertainment becomes more important to Christians than worship, they should just throw in the towel and call themselves unitarian universalists, because they’ve ceased to be Christian in any meaningful sense of the word.

<idle musing>
I remember one church we were a part of back in Minnesota. The Vikings had made it to either the Super Bowl, or the game just before it, I've forgotten which, but the music leaders all dressed in purple, and the pastor cut the sermon short in the third service, so that no one would miss the opening sacrifice—I mean kick-off.

What idolatry! I wrote a letter asking if they had thought about the message their actions sent. The response seemed to indicate that they hadn't. Cultural blindness is understandable in non-Christians, but in those who have the Holy Spirit opening their eyes?
</idle musing>

No comments: