Monday, June 14, 2010

Do we really believe?

I was speaking in Alabama once to a group of 77 people. I asked them, “How many of you believe the Bible?” All 77 hands went up. I read Romans 6:7 to them: “He who has died is freed from sin.” I continued, “How many believe what I just read?” Three hands went up. “We've got a problem here,” I said. “You just said that you believe the Bible, and I just read it to you.” But they didn't really believe that. They didn't have a spiritual awareness of being dead, buried, and risen with Christ.

The blood side of the cross deals with sins: actions or attitudes that break the law of God. The body side of the cross deals with sin, whose source was the old man, our old Adamic nature. He was the point of origin of sins.— The Rest of the Gospel: When the partial Gospel has worn you out, page 49

<idle musing>
Why am I not surprised? I was teaching a class once on I John. Everything fell apart once John (yes, I believe John wrote it) said that it was not possible for those born of God to sin (I John 3:9). Check out the Greek, if you wish:

Πᾶς ὁ γεγεννημένος ἐκ τοῦ θεοῦ ἁμαρτίαν οὐ ποιεῖ, ὅτι σπέρμα αὐτοῦ ἐν αὐτῷ μένει, καὶ οὐ δύναται ἁμαρτάνειν, ὅτι ἐκ τοῦ θεοῦ γεγέννηται.

Pretty hard to swallow, isn't it? But, that's what it says. Whom are you going to believe? God or the fallen nature (and it's ally, the devil).

Looking at God's track record, my money is on Him.
<idle musing>

No comments: