Saturday, February 04, 2023

I heard the voice of Jesus

1 I heard the voice of Jesus say,
   “Come unto me and rest;
   lay down, O weary one,
   lay down your head upon my breast.”
   I came to Jesus as I was,
   so weary, worn, and sad;
   I found in him a resting place,
   and he has made me glad.

2 I heard the voice of Jesus say,
   “Behold, I freely give
   the living water, thirsty one;
   stoop down and drink and live.”
   I came to Jesus, and I drank
   of that life-giving stream;
   my thirst was quenched, my soul revived,
   and now I live in him.

3 I heard the voice of Jesus say,
   “I am this dark world's light.
   Look unto me; your morn shall rise
   and all your day be bright.”
   I looked to Jesus, and I found
   in him my star, my sun;
   and in that light of life I’ll walk
   till trav’ling days are done.
                  Horatius Bonar
                  #117 United Methodist Book of Hymns (1964/1966 edition)

<idle musing>
I was completely unaware of this hymn until this week, despite the fact that it was in the hymnal I grew up with. We just never sang it—at least to my recollection. It was posted on Ponder Anew on January 30th. I needed this hymn on that day; maybe you need it today.

Whether you do or not, it's a good hymn to have in your repertoire for those days when you do need it : )
</idle musing>

No comments: