Saturday, February 25, 2023

Reflections and links (updated)

I haven't said a whole lot about what's been going on at Asbury. I don't have much to add. I graduated from Asbury (then) College, attended Asbury Seminary, and lived in Wilmore for six years. I know the history of the school and revival. The revivals (or awakenings if you prefer) follow the same general pattern that is happening now. It's the Wesleyan way: allow the Holy Spirit to run things, but keep it orderly. Don't discourage supernatural manifestations, but don't highlight them.

John Wesley's journals record supernatural manifestations, but don't emphasize them. The emphasis was always on heart holiness to the Lord, which manifested itself in changed lives, reconciliation, and social action as a result of that. Wesley's favorite book of the Bible was 1 John, so all of the above flow naturally out of 1 John.

That being said, Christianity Today has published three very good articles/op-eds in the last two days that are worth reading:

  • No Celebrities But Jesus. This post reflects on the behind the scenes work that enabled the Holy Spirit to control the flow. It reflects the best of the Wesleyan view on revival that I mentioned above.
  • What Our Reaction to Revival Reveals About Us. This paragraph says enough to give you an idea:
    When I was there, I saw that the leaders had made a deliberate decision to amplify only the voices of the students and leaders on the campus. Both well-meaning Christian celebrities and grifting hucksters were turned away. There were no lights, smoke, or lasers. There was lots of prayer, Scripture, and testimony. Contrary to the complaints of some on social media, many spoke of God’s holiness, our sinfulness, and Christ’s saving work on the cross.
  • What Revivals Can Teach Us. By a historian of revival. He lists four important points that the current outpouring highlights, and then ends with this:
    Asbury is a reminder that salvation is supernatural. God’s Word is supernatural. Conviction of sins is supernatural. Compassion for the suffering and the lost is supernatural. We need a broad bandwidth and full-spectrum picture of the Spirit’s works. (emphasis original)
    Amen and Amen!
And, with thanks to Chris Gehrz, this reflection by someone watching via streaming is very telling.
I know that there can be a lot of cringe-worthy, ego soaked performance-y stuff in church. I know that when it comes to Christianity there are legitimate reasons for commentary and critique at every turn. But, as I like to say, nothing is only ever one thing. Because there is also God’s Spirit, who I believe is still stirring in the hearts of God’s people (is that what is happening at Asbury? Maybe). And while I remain suspicious of most human claims of a human project having “God’s favor” or being “Spirit led” (because it feels conveniently like using divine camouflage for human ego trips) I do trust more and more what I feel in my spirit and in my body.
I'm sure there are lots of other posts out there, but I'll leave you with one from John Fea, who has been doing a daily summary. Do a search for the name Leonard Fitch in that post. I worked at Fitch's IGA for about 18 months while we lived in Wilmore. Everything they say about him is true; if anything, they understate.

Update:
David Reimer posted two very good links in the comment section. I'm moving them into the main body for those who don't read the comments. Both are by Timothy Tennent, the president of Asbury Seminary:

2 comments:

David Reimer said...

As you say, there are "lots of other posts out there", but perhaps worth noting two from Tim Tennent, president of Asbury Seminary. (I got to know him during his sabbatical stay in Edinburgh some years back.)

14 Feb: Thoughts on the Asbury Awakening

21 Feb: Asbury Awakening Continues

FWIW!

jps said...

Thanks, David,

Yes. Those are excellent posts. I'll move them into the main body so that people who don't read comments can see them also.

James