Tuesday, April 11, 2023

A charge to keep

570 S. M.
For diligence and watchfulness.

A CHARGE to keep I have,
   A God to glorify;
   A never-dying soul to save,
   And fit it for the sky.
   To serve the present age,
   My calling to fulfil,—
   O may it all my powers engage,
   To do my Master’s Will.

2 Arm me with jealous care,
   As in thy sight to live;
   And O, thy servant, Lord, prepare,
   A strict account to give.
   Help me to watch and pray,
   And on thyself rely,
   Assured, if I my trust betray,
   I shall forever die.
                          Charles Wesley
                          Methodist Episcopal hymnal (1870 edition)

<idle musing>
This is one of my favorite hymns; it sums up the calling of a Christian very nicely. Most hymnals break it up into four verses instead of two, but no matter. I've noticed that before about this hymnal. I wonder if it was to keep the songleader from destroying the context of a hymn's theology by saying, "Let's sing the first, third, and fourth verses" or some such (a practice I always hated).

Just an
</idle musing>

No comments: