Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Grateful praise

604 C. M.
Morning: Grateful praise.

LORD of my life, O may thy praise
   Employ my noblest powers,
   Whose goodness lengthens out my days,
   And fills the circling hours.

2 While many spent the night in sighs,
   And restless pains and woes.
   In gentle sleep I closed my eyes,
   And undisturb’d repose.

3 O let the same almighty care
   My waking hours attend;
   From every danger, every snare,
   My heedless steps defend.

4 Smile on my minutes as they roll,
   And guide my future days ;
   And let thy goodness fill my soul
   With gratitude and praise.
                        Anne Steele
                        Methodist Episcopal hymnal (1870 edition)

<idle musing>
Interestingly, hymnary.org substitutes two verses for verse 2:

2 Preserved by Thine almighty arm,
   I pass the shades of night,
   Serene and safe from every harm,
   And see returning light.

3 When sleep, death's semblance, o'er me spread,
   And I unconscious lay;
   Thy watchful care was round my bed
   To guard my feeble clay.

</idle musing>

No comments: