Friday, September 29, 2023

Beneath the cross of Jesus

144 St. Christopher. 7. 6. 8. 6. 8. 6. 8. 6.

1 Beneath the cross of Jesus
   I fain would take my stand,
   the shadow of a mighty Rock
   within a weary land;
   a home within the wilderness,
   a rest upon the way,
   from the burning of the noontide heat
   and the burden of the day.

2 Upon the cross of Jesus
   mine eye at times can see
   the very dying form of One
   who suffered there for me:
   and from my stricken heart with tears
   two wonders I confess,
   the wonders of redeeming love
   and my unworthiness.

3 I take, O cross, thy shadow
   for my abiding place:
   I ask no other sunshine than
   the sunshine of his face;
   content to let the world go by,
   to know no gain nor loss;
   my sinful self my only shame,
   my glory all the cross.
                         Elizabeth C. Clephane
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

<idle musing>
Do you ever click through to read the biographies of the authors? I find them fascinating; you learn all kinds of interesting things. Some very encouraging; others not so much. Today's author was a young woman who only lived to be 39; during the course of her short life, she penned a number of hymns, some of which have been translated into numerous languages. Click through the link to see which ones!
</idle musing>

No comments: