Monday, March 05, 2007

Tomb of Jesus?

Update: Seems I got the date wrong! I thought it was going to air on March 5, but it was the 4th. Oh well, instead of pizza, I made Swedish Rye bread and we went over to Debbie's parents and had a good time discussing Galatians 2:20

 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (RSV)

and what it means experientially in our lives.

I have been avoiding talking about this so far, but over the weekend two archaeologists have chimed in. Since some of you will probably watch or have watched the Discovery Channel spectacle, you should read these two articles:

Joe Zias' comments. Joe is a archaeologist who works for the Israel Antiquities Authority. His comments are well informed and authoritative.

Jodi Magness who is an archaeologist (and an Eisenbrauns author!) who has excavated extensively in Israel.

There are also numerous good posts around the blogosphere. Basically, choose any of the biblioblogs on my blogroll...

Me, I'm going to make pizza tonight and enjoy some Augustine in Latin. You can waste your time watching the thing, if you want :)

1 comment:

Jonadab said...

Appealing to archaeological experts is substantially overthinking the issue here. There is a new claim of this kind every few months, and they are all on approximately the same academic level as Elvis sightings and government coverups of extra-terrestrial landings at Roswell. I mean, come on, DNA testing to identify a two-millenium-old body? I suppose they had Jesus' DNA on file from the last time they dug him up? Maybe they would have us believe that they can get a positive identification by DNA testing without even having a reference for comparison? Whatever, I would not gratify this sort of thing by responding to it in an academic context. As they say on usenet, don't feed the trolls.