Monday, March 15, 2010

That took way too long!

I made cheddar cheese on Friday night—actually into Saturday morning. I didn't realize it would take as long as it did. I estimated 5 hours, but it was 7 hours! Granted, most of that time was waiting, but you have to be there at the right times. I don't think I'll do that recipe again! I saw one that was supposed to take less time; I'll have to dig it out.

Once the making part was done, it had to press for 12 hours at 40 pounds, and then another 24 hours at 50 pounds. That's why I started it on Friday night. 36 hours of pressing time is hard to time correctly so I am home. But, it came out nicely formed. I made 2 pounds and cut it into four 1/2 pound sections to dry for a few days. After they dry, I will wax them and age them for different lengths of time. I love extra-sharp, so we'll see if I have the patience to wait a year :)

On the cheese-making front, the colby will be ready to try next weekend, but I will be gone, picking up Debbie from her parents. She is staying with her sister for another few days and then going to her parents until the weekend. So, once we get back, we'll try the cheese on Monday. I can't wait to see how it turned out. If it is good, I suspect we will make it more often—definitely more often than cheddar!

Meanwhile, I made a 3-bay compost bin and put it in the backyard. We had an ugly pile there before; this will make things look better. Plus, because it has air holes, the compost should rot faster.

I also made four cold frames this weekend. I hope to take pictures of them tonight and post them tomorrow. I got the windows last summer from work when we were cleaning out the garage. The garage had never been gone through since Eisenbrauns bought the shipping building almost 10 years ago. The windows were from when the building was originally built, about 25+ years ago. They are double paned and weigh a lot. I'll be putting them in the garden tonight; it was raining and cold yesterday when I finished them.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to plant some radishes, spinach, and peas yet this week under the cold frames. That would give us radishes and spinach before tax day, and peas by May 15. I could handle that :)

No comments: