Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Translation for transformation

Lawson Stone is still talking about translation theory. If you haven't been following this series, you should. He really hits the translation nail on the head today:

So we finally arrive at the question…which translation is best. The answer is essentially this: the one that most effectively does to the receiving reader what the original did for its reader. Notice this is not about word-for-word or thought-for-thought. It’s about impact. A translation should offer an equivalence of experience. Any equivalences about words or constructions must be subservient to this.

<idle musing>
I have never heard it put that way before, but that is exactly what translators are aiming for—or at least, should be.

By the way, I love this little line: "the old 1901 American Standard Version…about which I always say it is the most literal translation there, but is not yet available in English!" I have to agree. I tried the ASV for a while in college, before I learned Greek. I might as well have been reading Greek!
</idle musing>

No comments: