Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bicycling

I haven't said anything about the Tour de France because I stopped following it several years ago. Nevertheless, it is the end of an era. I think it is summed up best by Bill Strickland at Bicycling's blog:

So many times over so many years I had witnessed Armstrong bend the Tour de France to his will. Now for the first time I wondered if the race was, as it did with everyone else, bending him. The Tour de France ennobles men, turns them into heroes. Then eventually it turns its heroes into men, by humbling them.


Although I have never been a big Lance fan, it is still sad that he couldn't at least win a stage in his final tour.

On other bicycling notes, I really enjoy riding to work each day. This morning, a fawn was standing in the middle of the road a little over 1/4 mile from home. It stood there, looking at me until I was about 25 feet away from it. Then, it turned and ran along the road for about 100 yards before veering into a lawn and disappearing into the woods. Priceless! Then, the lake was like glass this morning, and the bike path was so green...a wonderful ride.

Yesterday, though, I took the long route home. Consider this a public service announcement: If you are riding around Warsaw, Indiana, beware of 400 East; not only is it torn up and gravel between 600 and 700 South, which I had forgotten, but they are redoing the railroad crossing. They had just redone it in 2006; before that it was so bad I would get off and walk across it. I thought it was quite nice, at least for bicycles. I suspect it was still a bit too steep coming up for cars. So, it's closed while they redo it again. And, while I'm thinking of it, they just sealed 900 South, so don't expect a nice ride on it for a few weeks. Ah, the joys of rural riding :)

1 comment:

Joseph said...

Saw a doe today on the (mtb) trail. Two bucks a few weeks ago. Always exciting to witness up close!