Friday, December 03, 2010

More thoughts on the gods

About 2 weeks ago, I posted some thoughts on the gods as represented in ancient literature. After discussing it further with Debbie (my wife), it became obvious to both of us that I didn't adequately express what I was trying to say. So, let's try it again...

First off, a confession: I believe in the gods (and goddesses). Yes, all of them, Ba`al, 'El, Zeus, Jupiter, Apollo, etc. OK, you can get up off the floor now and let me finish. I believe that they are divine beings, but that they are created ones, under the thumb, so to speak, of YHWH. I suspect I am in the minority in the Western world, bordering on insane, but in the 2/3 world, I would be considered sane and reasonable.

Further, I believe this is the worldview of the Bible and the Church Fathers, in fact most everyone up until the "enlightenment" happened. Now, there are some corollaries to this that have important ramifications. For our purposes here, only one is important:

If the gods are real, then spells have power. The ancients thought so. In fact, in the 2/3 world even today, they will cancel soccer matches because of supposed witchcraft by the opposing team. Why, unless they saw evidence that the spells were effective?

OK, I've probably been written off by most of you, but let's go a bit further here...Why is the biblical text so adamant about not consulting horoscopes? Our 21st century Western mind says, "Because they don't work." Wrong answer! It is because they are based on the belief that the stars are deities (see The Standard Babylonian Creation Myth for details). They are exalting someone other than YHWH as in charge.

Why is witchcraft condemned? Same reason. Why is divination wrong? Again, because only YHWH should be the holder of the future.

By now you are probably wondering where all this is going. Bottom line: I created a mug that has an incantation on it. That was wrong! It was a sin against YHWH because it gave glory to someone other than YHWH. Even if nobody who reads it believes it, that doesn't change that fact. If I could, I would destroy them. But, I can't, they aren't mine...

9 comments:

Nick Norelli said...

What a wonderful display of integrity! Thank God for his convicting Spirit and for his forgiveness!

I will say that I don't think you're crazy; I agree with everything you've said. I'd qualify my belief in the gods by saying that I think they're all demons (which are 'divine' beings) à la Paul in 1Cor. 10.

jps said...

Thanks Nick. It didn't happen immediately; I have a faithful wife who kept interceding on my behalf for far too long.

James

David Reimer said...

Thanks for this post, and thank God for faithful wives (and husbands!)...

Tim Bulkeley said...

Doesn't intention matter here?

jps said...

Tim,

Definitely! That makes it even worse! I was trying to get business, so I was serving mammon as well :(

James

Eric Welch said...

First, I appreciate the honestly of this post. Second, in the spirit of the ANE I will cancel the incantation by defacing it. Maybe some strategic scratching will do the trick.

jps said...

Eric,

That is indeed in the finest tradition, not only of the ANE, but also in second temple Judaism.

James

Andy said...

Having done some experimenting on previous sample mugs, I can say that a wire brush works very well in this regard.

Isn't the incantation already broken, though?

Deane said...

JPS - sounds like you've got a bad case there. I strongly recommend stopping that 'root-beer float' nonsense, and breaking out the beer. That'll fix you, mate!