Friday, January 28, 2011

Read this and weep

Just read this article on genetically modified organisms (GMO):

The biotech industry and Organic Inc. are supremely conscious of the fact that North American consumers, like their European counterparts, are wary and suspicious of GMO foods. Even without a PhD, consumers understand you don't want your food safety or environmental sustainability decisions to be made by out-of-control chemical companies like Monsanto, Dow, or Dupont - the same people who brought you toxic pesticides, Agent Orange, PCBs, and now global warming. Industry leaders are acutely aware of the fact that every single industry or government poll over the last 16 years has shown that 85-95% of American consumers want mandatory labels on GMO foods. Why? So that we can avoid buying them. GMO foods have absolutely no benefits for consumers or the environment, only hazards. This is why Monsanto and their friends in the Bush, Clinton, and Obama administrations have prevented consumer GMO truth-in-labeling laws from getting a public discussion in Congress.

<idle musing>
Yep. That's why we grow as much of our own as possible. But, if GMO stuff is out there, it will produce super-weeds just like the overuse of antibiotics has produced super-viruses.

You know, if I weren't a Christian, I don't know that I would have much hope for this country. The dollar reigns. Hey, that sounds like Amos' indictment against Israel!
</idle musing>

3 comments:

That's my 2 cents! said...

Um...Antibiotics aren't used to fight viral infections. Antibiotics are only effective against bacteria based infections, like strep throat. The overuse of antibiotics and antibacterial soaps has indeed lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria like MRSA.

jps said...

Lonnie,

I know. About 30 seconds after I posted it I realized I should have said bacteria instead of virus—so much for infallibility, eh? :)

James

That's my 2 cents! said...

Well I bet I'm more fallible than you are, so there!! Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus! :-)