Monday, April 29, 2024

Father, let me dedicate all this year to thee

535 Dedication. 7. 5. 7. 5. D.

1 Father, let me dedicate
   All this year to you,
   In whate'er my earthly state,
   In whate'er I do.
   Not from sorrow, pain, or care
   Freedom dare I claim;
   This alone shall be my prayer:
   Glorify your name.

2 Can a child presume to choose
   Where or how to live?
   Can a father's love refuse
   All the best to give?
   More you give me ev'ry day
   Than the best can claim;
   Help me trust you that I may
   Glorify your name.

3 If in mercy you prolong
   Joys that now are mine,
   If on life serene and fair
   Brighter rays may shine,
   Let my glad heart, while it sings,
   You in all proclaim
   And, whate'er the future brings,
   Glorify your name.

4 If you have for me a cross
   And its shadow come,
   Turning all my gain to loss,
   Shrouding heart and home,
   Let me think how your dear Son
   To his glory came
   And in deepest woe pray on:
   "Glorify your name."
                         Lawrence Tuttiett
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1939 edition

No comments: